New Year Resolutions It Would Be Good To Make
A new year is traditionally the time to take stock of our lives and make changes for the better.
And if you have been experiencing problems with your hearing why not make a resolution to get it checked now.
As an essential medical service we continue to stay open during Covid restrictions with safeguards for all our patients.
For hearing aid wearers there are a few things you can do in 2022 to give yourself better hearing. To help you, our managing director Mark Scutchings has come up with seven top tips.
1. Wear your hearing aid regularly: If your hearing loss is not too severe it is easy to fall into the trap of just dusting off your hearing aid for special occasions. Usually this includes situations where you know that you will struggle because of high levels of background noise. If you have not got used to using your hearing aid in quieter environments you will probably find the amplified background noise overwhelming. Therefore, wear your hearing aid in tame environments regularly to get the best benefit in noisy places.
2. Clean it: Clean your hearing aid and replace wax filters and domes etc. If you are not sure how to do this see your audiologist to get some advice. Most hearing aid failures are a result of wax or moisture getting into the hearing aid. Regular cleaning and filter replacements will ensure that your hearing aid works reliably.
See your audiologist regularly
3. Help your hearing aid: Hearing aids have improved a lot over the past few years, but they are still not a replacement for perfect natural hearing. There are things you can do to help yourself. If you are with a group, sit in a position where you can see the faces of the people speaking to you. If you are going out to eat and you have a choice of restaurants go to the one with the least amount of background music and noise.
4. See your audiologist regularly: Get your hearing checked. Regular check-ups ensure your hearing aid is working reliably and that you are cleaning it effectively.
5. Keep your hearing aid dry: Modern hearing aids are pretty moisture-resistant, but moisture blockage of the sound outlet will lead to reduced performance or failure of the aid.
Don’t let wax build up
6. Consider wearing two hearing aids: If you are wearing just one hearing aid consider wearing two. This gives better directional hearing and better hearing in noisy places – we have two ears for a reason.
7. Manage wax: Hearing aid wearers have more wax. Get your audiologist to check it regularly. Wax in the hearing aid is the most common reason for hearing aid failure.
By following these tips you can keep your hearing aid in good condition. This will help you to hear better.
Our webshop stocks cleaning and drying materials which can make looking after your hearing aids easier. You can view our products here
To make an appointment to see one of our audiologists ring 0800 028 6179 or email firstname.lastname@example.org