It’s summer and after the past two years of limited travel opportunities many of us will be getting ready to go away for a holiday.
But although time in the sun might be good for resting, relaxing and topping up a tan, if you wear hearing aids there are a few things you should be aware of. Changes to routine and a more relaxed attitude while enjoying a break can lead to problems.
Here’s a few tips for holiday hearing aid care.
Holidays to warm destinations can cause problems as heat and moisture are real enemies of hearing aids. This is because they can damage their intricate and sensitive inner workings.
Too much moisture can ruin batteries, corrode components and damage the electronics. And big changes in temperature can cause condensation – another big enemy of hearing aids.
Here’s what to do
Here are a few tips to help you look after your hearing aids in the summer or when away.
- Take out your hearing aids when exercising outside if it is raining or if the weather is extremely warm
- At night, open the battery door to allow dry, fresh air to move through the hearing aid to remove moisture
- Keep your hearing aids in a protective case and out of direct sunlight when you are not wearing them
- Avoid storing hearing aids in humid places such as car glove boxes, or other places where heat and moisture can build up
- Remove your hearing aids before showering, swimming or any activity in which you could be exposed to water
- Sunscreen contains oils that can damage hearing aids, so apply lotions or sprays before putting on your hearing aids
- Make sure any sunscreen is fully rubbed in or is dry before putting your hearing aids back on. Make sure there is no sunscreen on your hands as the oils can seep into open seams and microphone ports or vents
Accidents can happen
Despite the best of intentions accidents happen, especially on holiday. People can forget they are wearing hearing aids and jump into the sea or a pool or dive under a shower.
If this happens turn off your hearing aids at once and remove the battery. Use a towel to gently dry the hearing aids, or a special hearing aid dryer if you have one.
These tips should help you enjoy your summer, at home or away, and keep your hearing aids safe and working well for many years.
Our webshop stocks many items which can help you care for your hearing aids, especially when on holiday. Included are drying products which are especially useful, such as special drying capsules and the PerfectDry Lux system, an all-in-one electric disinfection and drying system for all hearing aids. See our drying products here.